Wednesday, June 17, 2015

DIY: Distressed Mason Jars


I recently posted a photo on Instagram of these distressed painted mason jars I made for my Mothers Day centerpieces. I got so many comments and emails of people wanting to know how I did it! Seriously guys this is the easiest DIY project ever.


My original plan was not to do a tutorial so i apologize that I didn't take pictures of all the steps.


For this project you will need;
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Mason Jars
  • Foam brush
  • Nail file/Sand paper


I purchased my mason jars on sale for 40% off at Hobby Lobby! The total cost for this project was under $5 (not including the flowers).

1. Clean Your Jars!

Unless your using brand spanking new jars you will need to clean them. Rubbing alcohol works best! Wipe them down well and let them dry completely.

2. Paint Your Jars

I start at the top and then turn over and paint the bottom, apply thin even coat.  Once dry to the touch apply a second thin coat. Once dry if you needed to go back and touch up any areas where you can still see through the jar.


3. Let Dry Overnight

Once you've applied your final coat of paint, you want to let it dry overnight. Now I ‘m incredibly impatient so for me that's the hardest part, but trust me if you don’t want your paint to peel off it’s necessary!

Believe me, I learned this the hard way. The first time I did this project I didn't allow enough drying time before sanding and my paint peeled off like cheap nail polish!

The trick to getting the paint to adhere to the glass jars is by doing several thin coats and allowing enough drying time. If your pain is too thick, it won’t properly adhere to the glass and your jars will peel.

4. Distress

I used a small nail file, focus on the raised areas, lightly sand your painted jars until you reach your ideal distressed look



That's it! Super simple and super inexpensive .  

Linked up with The Painted Teacup

17 comments :

  1. I know this post is about mason jar painting. But I really just want your cake stand. Is that Martha Stewarts or someone elses? Cause I need that in my life like right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Actually Trisha, I love the Martha Stewart cake stands but they are too expensive! I got this one from Pier 1 for like 18 bucks and added the dome from a second hand store!

      Delete
  2. These look great! I love using mason jars for decoration, so I'll have to try this out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made some similar to this and found a layer of mode podge helped the paint not peel off if you involved water. It also helped with the glitter I added as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simple. And what a great way to add a pop of color to any room without committing to it for too long (like with curtains, or wall paint, wall paper or bedding). Thanks for sharing. -Misty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan on doing them in more colors for fall!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! I bet waiting between coats would be the hardest part for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for these tips. very helpful for a good result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely will be making these! We just bought a house and they will go perfect with our décor!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wondered how to make these! Thanks for the great tutorial.
    ​xo katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing :) Thanks so much for joining the Link-It To Me Link Party, I hope you will party with us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cute! It's a simple way to add a pop of color to any room & bring it to life!
    -xoxo Holly
    hollytiara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete