Monday, May 4, 2015

The $50 Mini Closet Makeover

My closet has been a major stress-or in my life for sometime now! Its small, cluttered and has no sort of organizational system whatsoever. Not even to mention the mountain of pants piled up on the top shelf. Every time I went to pull a pair down the entire mountain collapsed around me! It was awful.
I set out to Target with a $50 budget in search for a solution. I must warn you what your about to see is not pretty and I am not proud of it...

Seriously I had a $50 budget so if you are expecting to see an Extreme Home Makeover style remodel here, go ahead and dial it down a notch before you go any further...go ahead I'll wait!


Okay, now that we have adjusted our expectations...I did go a little over budget . Target had a sale on shelving units...I bought two of these three shelf organizing systems, they were $24 each and a basic tension rod for $6.00 (I bought two sizes because I didn't know which I would need, I plan to return which ever I don't use).


First step was to put these bad boys together. They were seriously super simple to assemble (but I must say I'm pretty good at putting things together). All in all I think it took less than an hour for both.



Next was the truly awful part..pulling everything out of the closet. This truly was awful because I was forced to deal with the incredible amount of stuff I have been hoarding in that closet. Seriously how many pairs of distressed Boyfriend Jeans dose one girl need? Once it was all out I also took the time to purge things I no longer wear and/ or  fit.

I stacked the two shelves on top of each other and anchored them to the back closet wall. And inserted the tension rod for extra hanging space.


The space is small but I still have a considerable amount of storage space up top and eventually I’d like to add an extra shelf for shoes. Currently my shoes live on a shoe shelf tucked in a corner of the hall way.


An organized closet space makes my brain feel less cluttered and makes getting dressed in the morning way less stressful! Its not perfect but for just over fifty buck I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. 

After it was all done, I stepped back to admire my handy work and couldn't help but think, “Gosh, it’s times like this I am thankful for my singleness, cause where on earth would my husband put his things!”

11 comments :

  1. What a simple and effective makeover! Target never let's you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the last few weeks, its proven to be very effective!

      Delete
  2. Super adorable! I need to remember this when we move. From what I hear there don't have walk-in closets in Germany! EHK GAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, my uncle is stationed in Germany and the first time his wife came to the states she was amazed by my tiny tiny closet lol

      Delete
  3. I would so need that. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Your closet looks way more organized, I bet you can actually find stuff with out the avalanche! You could probably put a shoe rack in the small section on the right side of the shelves! Looks awesome, I think I need to work on setting up my closet, I just moved and it is a simple closet that needs some help! Thanks for sharing the great idea's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It looks great and organized! I bet you can even grab clothes with out starting an avalanche! Target has the best tools to help organize at great prices too! I need to get my closet like this, I just moved and my closet it simple! It looks like you could probably fit a shoe rack between the shelf and the wall on the right side! Great work, thanks for sharing the great idea! ~Amanda Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy I have a huge closet space lol i don't have to worry about space. When I get a house that's what I'm going to focus on is the closet space. I need walk in closet lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine I must admit I'm a little jelly of people with large closet spaces but it was the trade off in getting an older home, huge rooms, lots of character...very minimal storage space!

      Delete
  7. I did the same thing with my closet!! Went to Wal-Mart and picked up some cheap shelving, and ta-da!! I had the perfect functional closet.

    Looks great :)

    www.pearlsandpolkadots.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always looking for different solutions to organizing my closet and now with your post, I know where to look. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete